Ending 2022 strong: Help us help our communities
As a small business, we wouldn't survive without the support of our community. In fact, we probably wouldn't have made it out of the old dairy barn where Judi and Fred Danforth first got started!
From the beginning, as we grew from having one store in Middlebury to nine along the Eastern Seaboard, it was because of community. Because of loyal customers who came back year after year. Because of early supporters who believed in a tiny artisanal pewter company. Because of our employees, many of whom grew up down the street from our workshop.
Like all small businesses, we owe our success to our community. And that's why we want to give back.
To end 2022 on a note of giving, we'll donate 20% of all sales from December 26-31 to a variety of organizations whose work improves the lives of people and animals in our world.
Proceeds from sales made online or by phone will go to Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the U.S, with 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs.
We chose Feeding America because their programs are measurably effective, both in providing food where it's needed immediately and in addressing the systemic causes of hunger in America.
With their excellent track record and rating on https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/363673599, we're proud to support them, and humbly yet confidently hope that our contribution, with your help, will make an impact in real human lives.
Of course, true to our roots, we also want to give back locally.
That's why we've worked with our retail staff in each Danforth store to choose a nonprofit that works for social justice within miles of where we do business. To each one, we'll send 20% of proceeds of sales from that store. If you live near one of these stores, we hope you'll come see us; your purchase will help support a charity in your community.
Here's what we've decided:
- Proceeds from our store in Portland, Maine will go to St. Vincent De Paul Soup Kitchen, who relies on donations to do their important work of providing hot lunches to about 140 guests daily, or 36,400 servings per year.
- From our Woodstock, Vermont store, proceeds will go to the Lucy Mackenzie Humane Society in West Windsor, Vermont, where they care for hundreds of abandoned, neglected, mistreated and stray animals every year.
- Proceeds from our store in Williamsburg, Virginia will go to Grove Christian Outreach Center, a food pantry and clothing closet who do a lot of good work providing everything from clothing essentials to bus passes to those who need them.
- From our store in Waterbury Center, we'll send a check to Waterbury Area Food Shelf & Good Neighbor Fund, who assists citizens of Waterbury and the surrounding area who are in difficult situations and in need of financial help or food.
- Right here in Middlebury, Vermont, just miles from our workshop where we make all our ornaments and spin all our oil lamps, we're donating store proceeds to HOPE (Helping Overcome Povery's Effects), one of the largest food shelves in the region who serves over 3,000 people each year while also working to mitigate food waste, salvaging thousands of pounds of produce every year.
- In Portsmouth, New Hampshire, we'll send our donation to Gather, a local charity committed to making the Greater Seacoast a hunger-free community by providing food and building a sustainble, regional food supply structure.
- In Mystic, Connecticut we'll donate to Always Home, who works to eliminate the trauma of homelessness in eastern Connecticut by keeping families housed and helping parents create lasting stability for their children.
- And last but not least, in Burlington, Vermont, 20% of all sales will go to Feeding Chittenden, the largest direct service emergency food provider in Vermont, who works to alleviate hunger by feeding people and cultivating opportunities, serving over 12,000 indivduals each year.
We know that the big shopping rush has settled down, and we hope that this week can be one of rest and enjoyment for you and yours. We also hope you'll help us contribute to these worthy, life-changing organizations. If you've got a save-the-date or a wedding invitation hanging on your fridge, if you know your sweetheart's spring birthday always sneaks up on you, or if you've simply had your eye on an oil lamp for awhile, now is a great time to buy!
To stay current on new designs, giving campaigns, and other Danforth news, be sure to sign up for our newsletter by clicking here. We also announce those things on Facebook and Instagram, so come on over and give us a follow!
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your lives.