Danforth Custom Designs
Are you looking to create stunning, one-of-a-kind, American-made gifts for your retail business?
Do you have a vision of a meaningful, branded product for your clients, alumni, or sponsors?
Welcome to Danforth Pewter, where we work metal by hand.
We also do custom, handcrafted designs.
We are a small craft business with strong roots in our Vermont community. We make world-class pewter gifts that are beloved by our customers for their quality, detail, durability, and beauty. Our products do not tarnish, rust or break; they are easy to clean, and can be used every day and still last for generations.
We specialize in collaboration and partnerships, and we love to help you co-create beautiful new designs. In our Custom Design program, we offer unique, competitive branding opportunities for you to feature your logo and artwork on our handcrafted pewter goods. When you create a custom piece, you increase the value of your company, allow your customers to recognize your logo, inspire your employees, and also you receive referral business through a lasting visual impression.
Our custom designs are modern, vintage, timeless, serious, whimsical, ornate, or simple – in other words, they are whatever you are looking for. Our talented designer and artisans will collaborate with you to realize your vision and create a product or gift that perfectly captures the occasion.
Pewter is extremely versatile, as you can see by our wide array of gifts – from our jewelry and oil lamps to our barware and Christmas ornaments. When it comes to handcrafted pewters, the possibilities truly are endless. We invite you to bring us your most daring, fun, meaningful, beautiful ideas – and we will craft them into pewter!
All of our products are made in the USA – in fact, here in our Middlebury, Vermont workshop, by our team of talented in-house artisans.
In a time when most commercially sold metalwork is machine-made in a factory, Danforth Pewter stands as one of the few uniquely personal, human-centered businesses, where working metal is an art, and our pride is in our handiwork.
We are strongly committed to our values of quality, authenticity, and sustainability. Our workshop is run on 100% renewable electricity, thanks to our solar farm beneath Snake Mountain, which generates so much power that we’re even able to share some with our neighbors in Middlebury. Our customers love that when they buy Danforth Pewter, they are not only purchasing a timeless gift that will last for generations; they’re also supporting a local, sustainable business that is dedicated to serving our community.
Our Custom Project Manager will work with you on each stage of the custom process – including preliminary artwork/design, packaging, approvals and shipping. Each step will be pre-approved by you prior to production.
- Design and crafting of custom pewter gifts made in Middlebury, Vermont
- Vivid, eye-catching color applications using epoxy (enamel)
- Over 30 years of experience in custom design and production to satisfied clients
- A variety of different product ideas, such as keyrings, ornaments, scatter pins, charms, buttons, and anything else you can think of!
Each step will be pre-approved by you prior to production. You will approve the design, packaging, and the pewter prototype before the production of your custom piece.
Minimum Order and Re-order: Dependent on product category.
Set-up charges: Initial set up fee must be paid when the design concept is approved by the client.
- If you provide good vector art, the set-up fee for one design is $1200, due upon concept approval. This includes creating a concept design, carving models, and making molds.
- If you have non-vector art or no art at all, the 1st hour of design time is included in the initial set up fee. We charge $90/hour for additional design time to create usable 2D art. We can do multiple concepts at your request. Once the 2D art is approved, we then charge $1200 for creating the 3D design, carving models and making molds.
- For multiple pieces with different designs, the following set-up fees apply:
- One piece: $1200
- Two pieces: $900 each
- Three pieces and up: $750 each
- For multiple applications of same basic design (one design become an ornament, jewelry, barrette, etc...)
- $1200 for the first piece
- $600 for each other piece based on the same design
In all cases, if you have given your approval to the design concept renderings, but then want to make changes after we’ve created and produced a pewter prototype for the piece, we reserve the right to charge an additional $300 for changes.
To begin designing your custom order through Danforth Pewter, contact Matthew Parker at email@example.com.
Adobe Illustrator CC (or earlier version) or .eps file with all text converted to curves or outlines.
Designs are available in bulk without packaging or with our standard Danforth packaging.
Pre-payment is required before production of the order can begin unless otherwise approved.
6-8 week minimum upon prototype approval from January-July 1st, from concept design through production. (Sept-Dec is our busiest time of the year. Concepts can be designed and approved, and the model/mold can be created for the prototype, but the production of the initial order will not occur until January.)
Price of each piece:
We will provide you with a per-piece quote once we have enough information about the size, weight and complexity of your piece to do so. We do not offer estimates or quotes, since each custom order is unique.
Companies with whom we have collaborated to create a custom design include:
- WhistlePig Rye Whiskey
- Wreaths Across America
- University of Vermont
- Middlebury College
- Vermont Public Radio (VPR)
- King Arthur Flour
- Vermont Farm Table
- Nu Skin
- Anthem Memory Care
- Life Is Good
- Vermont Day School
- REBOS (sobriety coin)
- Scott Cares Foundation
- Vermont Division of Historic Preservation
To get started on your custom design project, contact Matthew Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.